We have a Public Sector client based in Warwick looking for an Interim Head of Bid Management on a role that will run until the 31st March 2018. This role is INSIDE IR35 with a maximum day rate of £350 on offer.
NHS Arden &GEM Commissioning Support Unit (AGCSU) has built a reputation for delivering high quality commissioning support solutions to customers. Success has been built upon developing compelling and winning propositions that exceed the expectations of our customers.
As the Head of Bid Management, you will lead the central bid function within the Commercial Directorate. Adding value and effective support to the Directorate and Service Line teams you will ensure all proposal submissions are of a high standard and delivered to challenging timelines.
You will be involved from the initial stages of the bid process, ensuring allocation of bid production resource and supporting team members, managing the bid production plan for each submission. You will lead the bid function with overall direct management responsibility for the bid team. You will be responsible for managing the proposal review process prior to submission and will continually look to identify and implement process improvements to the bid function.
Working closely with the Director – Bids & Business Development, you will be responsible for managing an opportunity response from qualification through to contract award, including value proposition / strategy development, commercial considerations, partner identification and risk management. Responsibilities include introduction and implementation of all necessary bid procedures, governance and processes.
This is a highly networked role that requires an ability to work under pressure and to challenging deadlines. It will require strong people management and commercial skills.
Key Tasks and Deliverables:
- Operate effectively and flexibly within a complex, stressful and politically demanding environment, proactively engaging internal and external stakeholders.
- Nurtures key relationships and maintains networks internally and externally.
- Works effectively with any external providers of specialist expertise to ensure appropriate outcomes and retention of the knowledge and expertise for the future benefit of the organisation.
- Lead on key work areas as delegated by the Director – Bids & Business Development.
- Support horizon scanning for potential opportunities.
- Manage the bid qualification (bid go / no go) process for new opportunities.
- Provides direction and support for strategy development, capturing win themes and key customer requirements.
- Lead the PMO effort on the most complex and highest profile bids.
- Manage the bid team and inputs from a variety of stakeholders, typically involving contributions from Customer Account Management, Marketing and Service Line teams.
- Manage an overall work-plan for the Bid Team.
- Ensure that all portals are monitored for potential opportunities, providing direction and leadership to those involved in managing the portal interface.
- Ensure that bids are effectively managed, appropriately resourced so that outputs are delivered in accordance with agreed timescales, quality standards and costs.
- Prepare and review the commercial aspects of the bid, ensuring all services are included in the final price to the customer.
- Contribute to and, when required, lead strategy sessions for opportunity responses and pitches.
- Contribute to, and when required, lead the written proposal - both in terms of content and presentation (such as preparation of a management summary).
- Understand and resolve complex technical, strategic and business issues.
- Lead in the production of compelling and winning tender responses.
- Pro-actively network with stakeholders to support the production of compelling propositions.
- Develop timeline plans for tender responses.
- Instil an ethos that delivers high standard of work, supporting the delivery of the responses on time, to a high quality standard.
- Act as a central point for coordinating the dissemination of tender and customer information for assigned opportunities.
- Ensure all necessary bid procedures, governance and processes are followed for tender responses.
- Identify process improvement and implement within the bid function.
- Arrange all post bid reviews with the internal team and/or customers, post contract award.
- Lead on the collation of statistics to support analysis of propositions including, amongst others, win/loss ratio, bid / no-bid decisions.
- Lead on the population and maintenance of a knowledge repository that contains best in class responses.
- Provide regular reports that provide an update on bid responses and progress.
- Manage the monitoring of portals and collation of clarification question and responses.
- Analyse interpret and present data to highlight issues, risks and support decision making.
- Develop and maintain strong trusting relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Work constructively and collaboratively to ensure that objectives and outcomes are met.
- Provide leadership and line management to the Bid Team
- Directly manages the team, responsible for day to day work assigned to the team.
- Recruitment of team staff, acting as recruiting officer where appropriate.
- Conduct staff appraisals and personal development.
- Management of third parties where appropriate to ensure deliverables are met in a timely manner and within budget
- Educated to MBA level or with equivalent experience of:
- Managing bids teams and leading a bid function
- Leading complex, high profile tender submissions
- Writing compelling and winning propositions
- Significant proposal and tender response experience.
- Accomplished Bid Manager with a track record of leading winning propositions.
- Exceptional bid management and proposal writing with high level of attention to detail including wide scope proposals for complex initiatives to persuade others internally & externally to commit significant resources.
- Experience of working in a healthcare environment with a competitive sales focus.
- Excellent Bid Management skills, with the ability to lead, plan, develop and deliver complex bid responses.
- Exceptional creative writing and proposal production skills.
- Excellent presentational skills.
- Effective workshop facilitation skills, with the ability to run strategy development, bid kick-off and pitch production sessions.
- Ability to lead storyboard sessions with bid / proposal team members and key stakeholders
- Delivers completed written proposal responses against agreed tender deadlines, escalating issues as required.
- Re-writes / edits responses from a variety of stakeholders, typically involving contributions from service lines and the wider Commercial Directorate.
- Ability to coach teams and subject matter experts in sales positioning writing best practice.
- Have the ability to develop networks by working in partnership with colleagues within and across systems to deliver and improve services.
- Demonstrate a solutions’ focused approach with the ability to develop robust responses to complex problems.
- Work effectively across organisational and professional boundaries to support matrix working and use a range of innovative approaches to progress a situation to achieve required solutions.
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence: having the ability to build and maintain relationships by listening, being responsive, flexible and adaptable, supporting others, showing understanding and gaining trust.
- Evidence excellent interpersonal and communication skills demonstrating a high level of confidence tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to present complex information and ideas to a range of audiences.
- Excellent team management and people skills.
- Experience of developing team members to realise their full potential
- Knowledge of managing proposals and their production.
- Knowledge & understanding of the implications of the NHS Forward View, Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STP) and other national relevant NHS Commissioning Experience.
- Knowledge of bid management, commercial proposal writing, sales and marketing, team leadership and management.
- Proactive individual, with a positive, ‘can do’ attitude with the ability to motivate and lead.
- Confident, resilient & energetic. Able to handle intense work activity & to work effectively under pressure.
- Driven, self-motivated and target orientated:
- Able to develop and build effective relationships.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a time constrained and stressful environment.
- Excellent communicator.
- Significant working knowledge of sales process(es) and proposal development